Advertising blocker detected: Our website is made possible past displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us past disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Using a water bath for cooking

tooth
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 05:05
Location: Illinois

Hot h2o bath after smoker?

How-do-you-do Chcukwagon, I've got a quick question for yous. I was on another sausage making site, and near of the guys I saw would smoke their sausages and so finish their sausages to temperature in a hot water bathroom. Then the sausages went into an ice bath to stop cooking.

My question is: Why finish the sausage after the smoker in the hot water bath? Is this unremarkably done? My feel is limited to making only fresh sausages at the moment, so I'm trying to empathise more most smoking and curing.
Thanks!

User avatar

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 4494
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 04:51
Location: Rocky Mountains

Mail by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 06:11

How-do-you-do Molar,
That`southward a bang-up question. Nearly sausages require lilliputian fume actually. Virtually beginners tend to over-smoke beef, making it bitter. Pork is a trivial more forgiving if it is left in too long. Smoke will penetrate casing with no problem (unless the fat in a sausage has "smeared" the inside of the casing while being stuffed). Most oftentimes, the smoking is done much before the sausage is cooked. If the sausage remains in a smoker to finish cooking, the process requires merely a couple of degrees of higher heat every 20 minutes or half-hr until the internal meat atmosphere of 152° F. (67° C.) is reached. If this procedure is not carefully and strictly followed, the fat will "break" and condign liquid, will run out of the sausage leaving behind a totally worthless mass of something resembling and tasting like sawdust.
To aid overcome this problem, many sausage makers put the smoked links into hot water at only near 170°F. (77°C.) to finish cooking uniformly with slightly raised increments of temperature spread out over a long menstruation of time. This will ensure that the fat volition remain solid throughout the entire process. Once the IMT of 152° F. has been reached, cold water stops the cooking and keeps the casing from shriveling. Many folks use a kitchen range oven to finish the cooking process later smoking, to furnish an even, uniform temperature, peculiarly when making semi-dry out-cured sausages.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks similar a duck, information technology probably needs more time on the grill! :D

Devo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 500
Joined: Saturday Nov nineteen, 2011 19:25
Location: Ontario

Post by Devo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 13:55

I take used the hot water bath a few times. It cuts downward on my time by virtually half to get to the IT of 152*F.
If your going to endeavour this you lot must and I say must pay very close attention to the bath. They volition stall for about 15 minutes simply then accept off real fast so you can't be off doing something else or you will fat out. Being able to control the hot water bath with a PID is likewise a good idea and so the temp will stay at 160*F

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 221
Joined: Sunday Dec 19, 2010 22:03
Location: Wisconsin

Mail by Blackriver » Tue Jan 03, 2012 xix:28

So my question is practise you get ameliorate results with the water bath vs leaving the semi dry sausages in the smoker?

sam3
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: xi
Joined: Wed December 28, 2011 eighteen:23
Location: New Jersey

Post past sam3 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 19:42

I've done ii batches of Keilbasa and finished them off in the hot water bath. Water temp betwixt 160-162 degrees.
I personally like how the meat stays plump and moist.

For jerky, I prefer to go all the way in the smoker.

Gringo Loco
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed December fourteen, 2011 03:12
Location: Nifty SOUTHWEST NM

Mail by Gringo Loco » Tue Jan 03, 2012 22:29

I smoke my sausage to 135 It and then I put in a pan of boiling h2o on superlative of the hot plate in the smoke and steam them off to 152 Information technology. Relieve a lot of fourth dimension and the come out rel practiced :grin: .
GL

Ponsa llena, Corazon Muy Contento!!

User avatar

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 4494
Joined: Tue April 06, 2010 04:51
Location: Rocky Mountains

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 00:20

Nosotros have a fellow member who is very proficient at hot bath sausage cooking. He fifty-fifty has a specialized "bath tub" made from an old turkey roaster. I'll PM him and run into if he volition join us on this topic. His proper noun is NorCalKid (Kevin). Permit's see what he says near all this.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more than time on the grill! :D

Devo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 500
Joined: Saturday Nov 19, 2011 19:25
Location: Ontario

Post past Devo » Midweek Jan 04, 2012 00:39

This was posted by a member of the forum that Kevin and I vest to. He is the become to guy for hot water baths. I'm certain kevin picked up any tips from him.(Mr Walleye)

Here is what he has to say about hot water baths.

I have washed a few hundred pounds this way and oasis't noticed whatever loss of smoke season. I do thinks information technology's important to properly dry out your casings for best smoke penetration. I don't smoke mine to whatever particular Information technology. Instead what I'thousand looking for is the consistant mahogany color. I take checked the Information technology of the sausage when I put them in the hot h2o bath and they are typically around 135 degrees.

Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 201
Joined: Sunday Dec eighteen, 2011 twenty:11
Location: Washington Country

Post by Keymaster » Wed Jan 04, 2012 01:24

Ive been watching craigslist for a turkey roaster to do my kielbasa's in, simply waiting for a good priced one in my town, Diesel is expensive. I think y'all go a more than store like baught Kielbasa instead of a raisan skin type out of the smoker.

User avatar

Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 eleven:39
Location: Bristol, NY

Mail past Dave Zac » Midweek January 04, 2012 02:33

I likewise detect I get better results from a hot bath. Faster and ameliorate control. Similar mentioned by Devo, y'all must pay attention though. But simply for a short time :lol:

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 4331
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 19:32
Location: maryland

Postal service by ssorllih » Wed January 04, 2012 02:45

The very few times that I have used a water bath for finishing my sausage I used my enameled canner kettle information technology holds well-nigh 4 gallons or 32 pounds of h2o and v or ten pounds of sausage don't change the temperature much.

Ross- tightwad home melt

User avatar

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 23:43
Location: Sunny Northern California

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Jan 04, 2012 04:26

My question is: Why stop the sausage after the smoker in the hot water bath? Is this commonly done?

I started using the poaching method after seeing another much-more experienced sausage maker using it to finish his products. One of the biggest advantages, it seemed to me, was the huge reduction of cook time with no apparent loss of quality in the last production.

My kickoff few batches I did them side-by-side (took one-half & poached and the residue continued to cook in the smoker. My results were inline with those of Mr Walleye ( Devo alluded to above in his mail). I bluntly couldnt tell any departure in taste. Just as 'smokey'. In fact, the links tended to exist a fleck 'plumper' and have less shrinkage than those I cooked for the unabridged fourth dimension in the smoker. Plus I reached the target internal temp in less than ane/2 the time.

These results sold me on the method.

Ane note, every bit someone mentioned, temperature control is critical. A too hot bath will consequence in a greasy 'fatted-out' sausage (much like what happens in a besides-hot smoker) bobbing nigh in a greasy pool of water. I try to keep the temp in the 165f range at all times. For most batches-around 10 pound of links- final Information technology is reached in most 30 minutes or less; Bigger, thicker chubs take longer.

Large chub of bologna:
Image

Franks:
Image

smaller links:
Image

Big brats:
Image

Bockwurst:
Image

From Craigslist; a 1950 westinghouse turkey roaster for about $35. Rarely used...until now! :wink:
Image

-Kevin

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8

Dutch
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: twenty
Joined: Fri December 30, 2011 16:36
Location: E of the Oquirrh Mountains

Mail by Dutch » Midweek Jan 04, 2012 05:35

At present I know why I demand a roaster-for poaching. Thanks for sharing Kevin; now I gotta call my mother-in-law and run across if she still has hers. She tried giving it to me a year ago~now I'chiliad wishing that I took it!

I idea I had a handle on life until one twenty-four hours the handle vicious off.
†

molar
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 05:05
Location: Illinois

Postal service by tooth » Wed Jan 04, 2012 xiv:13

Cheers guys for all the bang-up answers. It explains a lot, I'll have to try this out the side by side fourth dimension!

User avatar

DLFL
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed October 05, 2011 21:x
Location: Florida

Post past DLFL » Midweek Jan 04, 2012 14:20

Peachy post!

Dick

Never quit learning!